Saturday 11 June 2016

Lomachenko attempts to become a two weight world champion against Martinez.

WBO featherweight world champion Vasyl Lomachenko will be trying to become a two division world champion tonight when he moves up in weight to challenge WBO junior lightweight champion Rocky Martinez in the Theater at Madison Square Garden. It would be quite an achievement for Lomachenko if he were to pull it off tonight considering its in only his seventh professional fight..  Las Vegas bookmakers have the two time Olympic gold medalist as a 32:1 favorite. The confident Ukrainian commented "I feel great and I’m ready for this fight. I just hope that the best ‘Rocky’ Martinez is in front of me. I think this will be a very good match since we’re both champions.”
Martinez who is now 33 will have tremendous home support and knows how big the task is, yet remains positive... “I trust my preparation, I’m ready for whatever Lomachenko brings and I know I have the tools to beat him.”
Lomachenko is currently 5/1 (3 Kos) his only loss was a vacant WBO championship challenge in 2014 against Orlando Salido where he dropped a split decision in a bout where the title was only available to Vasyl following Salido failing weight..  The title remained vacant and Lomachenko picked it up by beating Gary Russell jr in his 3rd pro outing..  Lomachenko is fast becoming a fan favourite with a huge following, his popularity is attributed to his all action style, marvellous footwork and positional skills making him illusive and dangerous..  Lomachenko has shown from day one that he isn't afraid to take risks..   Martinez is 29/2/3 (17 Kos) and is a three time world champion, who's last two defences in 2015 were against the man who beat Lomachenko, Orlando Salido, a victory and a draw, retaining the title he defends tonight..

No comments:

Post a Comment