Wednesday 11 October 2017

Groves v Cox, WBSS quarter final on Saturday.


WBA World Super Middleweight title holder George Groves (26-3, 19 KOs) takes on fellow Brit and personal tournament selection Jamie Cox (24-0,13 KOs) in the Muhammad Ali Trophy quarter-final at The SSE Arena in London on Saturday..
Groves feels that he has finally found his feet as a champion and is in the form of his life, while Cox is being offered the biggest opportunity of his career, a title shot and a huge platform to pull off a memorable upset in a high profile tournament.

"I feel I’m in the form of my career,” said Groves.
“This tournament has come along for me at the perfect time. I’ve had a fantastic camp. Everything that we wanted to happen did happen. It’s gone perfectly. I know what Jamie Cox can bring. I know that we maybe haven’t seen the best of Jamie yet because he’s fought nowhere near the level that I have. "
"Jamie hasn’t fought any big names, to earn this opportunity, he hasn’t been in world title fights and he’s taking a giant leap on Saturday night. Both he and his trainer will wonder whether he can take that leap. When he’s boxed at a lower level he’s dropped to that level and maybe he’s that sort of fighter. Maybe he can rise to the occasion but maybe not.”
“Cox hasn’t fought anyone decent to get this. I’ve picked him, it’s fantastic for him. We’re hoping that the best of Jamie Cox will show up. I look forward to going out and performing and performing well. And to show everyone in the division that I’m still the man to beat.”

Cox acknowledges the fact that he hasn't boxed at this level before and is extremely grateful, but stands defiant..

“I’m going to win. It’s as simple as that. No question about it. I’ve come into this to win the tournament. George is the first stop. I’m ready. I don’t know why he chose me. Everyone in the tournament is good, but I’m going to make my mark.”

Kalle Sauerland the chief spokesperson for the tournament was very complimentary of both fighters, stressing that Groves is the man to beat in this series, he's the champion for a reason and very deserved of his number one seeding.
"Everyone seems to be talking about a Eubank Jr. vs. Groves semi-final but Jamie Cox comes in to a nothing to lose situation. He’s an undefeated challenger and that is something that you cannot overlook.. "

Groves is a huge favourite in this matchup, and will more than likely outwork the relatively inexperienced Cox, moving onwards towards the apparent match of the tournament, with Chris Eubank Jr.. Sauerland was correct, everyone is talking about Eubank Jr, and regardless of Groves superior ranking, appears the man to beat..

No comments:

Post a Comment