Friday 3 November 2017

Wilder v Stiverne 2.. Tense final presser..


WBC Heavyweight title holder Deontay Wilder and former champion Bermane Stiverne came head to head for the final official time on Thursday at the last press conference at the Edison Ballroom, before they meet in a PBC, Showtime main event rematch on Saturday, at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn..

Lou Dibella opened the conference with a stage setting summary of why both fighters are once again meeting, explaining the shenanigans that have hampered Wilders career, regarding Drug test cheats, notably Ortiz and Povetkin.. "These guys take performance enhancing drugs before fights purely because they don't have faith in themselves going into a fight with the champion, clean.. "
Dibella was very clear about the importance of the fight, referring to Stiverne as a highly dangerous obstacle, who can't be overlooked..

Don King was then introduced to the podium, gregariously rambling on about how he is introducing the 'real' Bermaine Stiverne to Deontay Wilder on Saturday, stating that he faced a mere doppelgänger the last time they met, in reference to Stiverne's dehydration.. King went even further, paying great respects to how Wilder has been a credit to Alabama, a state where his own parents were raised, but emphasised, that Stiverne would regain the titles, and that Don King productions door would always be open to Wilder if he considered returning to the ring following the defeat.. King then introduced the former champion who was celebrating his birthday with a comical rendition of 'Happy Birthday.' 

Bermaine appeared stoic, before exclaiming "Now let's get down to business.."
“Deontay Wilder has been trying to duck me. He’s been giving a lot of excuses about my career. He should be happy if I’ve been inactive. He should be jumping in the air. Everyone knows that means he’s scared. He knows what time it is.
“He already gave me his best. I had nothing last fight. But now I’m a very dangerous man. Everyone here knows what time it is.
“I feel great and I feel strong. There will be no excuses this time. I can guarantee you this. I’m 100 percent this time.
“Deontay said he fears for my life. Well, I don’t fear for his life. I’m going to do whatever it takes to grab that title. And I’ll walk away with a smile on my face.
“You caught me sleeping last time. Nobody is going to be sleeping this time. I’m going to be on you all night. It’s over for you.
“This is a fighter that I took him the longest rounds in any of his fights. He had never gone past seven or eight.
“He’s like a third round or fourth round knockout guy depending on the level of his opponent. Anyone that would be a decent or strong opponent, he’s not going to last. From rounds six through 12 he didn’t do much. Everything was in the first six.
“His last fights that I’ve watched, I haven’t seen any progress.
“Saturday, November 4 I will be two-time heavyweight champion of the world. No one can stop me. He can smile all he wants. But on Saturday I’m taking that belt home with me.”

Wilder then approached the stage..

“Stiverne was the only man to survive the ‘Alabama Slammer’ and avoid a knockout. When I knock him out, then nobody will be able to say they made it through against me. He was nothing but a lot of lumps and excuses after the first fight.
“It’s been a long road for me. I’ve had my ups and my downs. The ups I’ve celebrated, but the downs have hurt the most. It’s all led me to here. All I ever wanted to do is prove to the world that I am the best. I am the baddest. I hit the hardest. I am the most feared. My record speaks for itself.
“Winner takes all. I am a man of my word. We’ve heard Bermane Stiverne say these same things before. We’ve heard it all before. What happened the first time? Everybody knows. Hopefully he doesn’t get dehydrated this time.
“This just turned up into a whole other level. The ambulance better be ready. The medical teams better be ready. The referee better be ready. They better have that towel to be able to throw it in because every blow is going to mean something. This just got even more personal.
“There’s nothing different that he can bring to the table. He brought everything he could bring the first time. He brought all his tricks – all his power. There’s nothing he’s going to be able to do this time. The only thing he’s going to be able to do is pick his spot on the ground where he’s going to lay at.”
“I do my talking and my walking in that ring. That’s what it’s all about. That’s why we’re here. November 4 the truth with reveal itself. That’s when it counts. When Deontay Wilder speaks, I mean what I say. But I’m going to show you, instead of tell you, on Saturday night.
“This will be an electrifying fight. That belt isn’t going anywhere. I will unify the division. I will be the undefeated, undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.”

In the middle of his address, Wilder handed Stiverne a birthday gift bag..
After several moments of wrapping up the conference, and head to head photo opportunities, Deontay grabbed the mic and told the press, "For y'all that want to know what's in the bag, it's Pedialyte for his dehydration."

The co-main event features former world champion Shawn Porter taking on Adrian Granados in a welterweight world title eliminator, and unbeaten Sergey Lipinets battling Japan’s Akihiro Kondo for the vacant IBF Junior Welterweight World Championship, making it a three-fight Showtime Championship Boxing telecast beginning live at 9 p.m. Eastern and 6 p.m. Pacific.

Also on the card in a WBC final eliminator, former world title challengers Dominick Breazeale and Eric Molina fight in a 12 rounder at heavyweight.

Tickets for the live event are on sale now and can be purchased at ticketmaster.com, barclayscenter.com or by calling 800-745-3000.
Tickets can also be purchased at the American Express Box Office at Barclays Center. Group discounts are available by calling 844-BKLYN-GP.

No comments:

Post a Comment