Sunday 12 May 2019

Julian Williams upsets Jarrett Hurd, wins title at second time of asking.


In a surprise upset, Julian J-Rock Williams 27-1-1 (16 Ko’s) picked up the unified IBO/WBA and IBF Super Welterweight titles with a well earned unanimous decision over unbeaten Jarrett Hurd 23-0 (16 Ko’s) at the Eagle Bank Arena in Fairfax Virginia on Saturday.. Three years ago in a failed attempt for the IBF title, Julian looked a shell of this version of himself, in a 5th round knockout loss to Jermall Charlo, but it was persistence and determination on this occasion that pulled him to undoubtedly his most impressive performance..
Williams utilised the jab to great affect, landing first and making Hurd look disorganised, even on the inside.. In the second Julian had the champion on the floor for the first time in his career from a tremendous left hand..
Hurd responded well by making the middle rounds more competitive, yet in every department the Philadelphia man had the final word, with precise counter punching and intelligent movement.. Hurd attempted to rally late, but it just wasn’t his night.. Williams picks up his first Championship in his 29th pro outing by scores of 116-111 and 115-112 twice..

“I am just overwhelmed,” said Williams “This is such a great feeling, I outclassed him, I am one of the best fighters in the world.. Maybe I wasn’t ready for the title the first time I got the shot. I took the loss. I took it like a man and the whole world doubted me. I went into this fight a five to one underdog.. This is a dream come true.”

“I never got off like I planned to” said a despondent Hurd following the bout. “I can’t call it right now, I was loading up on my shots instead of just letting my hands go, Julian fought a great fight, he was the better fighter tonight..”

No comments:

Post a Comment