Tuesday 16 July 2019

An honourable mention.. Elizabeth Avis Jones.


Elizabeth Avis Jones is my mother, she is one of the sole reasons that I immersed myself into boxing for most of my life.. She pushed me to attempt the impossible and made everything that I aimed for so reachable.. She encouraged me as a young enthusiastic amateur, nurtured my love for the game, treating me every month by any means possible acquiring the latest Ring magazine and carefully boosted my esteem to shoot for higher goals.. In 1989 I expressed an interest in venturing to Las Vegas to explore the fight scene, everyone questioned my intentions except her, she made it appear so reachable and did everything in her power to encourage me in my dreams.. I got involved in coaching fighters in the 90s and helped with the careers of many professional fighters, she thoroughly lived my dream with me, sharing my passion and still encouraging me to believe that anything that I wish for, is by all means possible.. My work as a photojournalist and boxing scribe delighted her, my venture into developing this blog made her so proud.. She was selfless and loving, and the reason that I am the man I am today..
Avis passed away on the 29th of June.. I am my mothers son and she lives in me.. My tribute is not just to my mom, but to the very fact that my passion for boxing ever existed..

I offer this brief mention so my readers may understand where my love and enthusiasm comes from.. She is my love for boxing..

Elizabeth Avis Jones 1948-2019

No comments:

Post a Comment