Thursday 18 April 2019

Shields “I think I can beat up Keith Thurman.”


Undisputed women’s world middleweight champion, Claressa Shields says she’s very confident that she could beat most top male fighters, Calling out Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter and Gennady Golobkin by name.. Shields was impressive last weekend against Christina Hammer, proving that she indeed on another level in her particular division..
The ideal direction for the unified Michigan native would be fellow unified female champion Celilia Braekhus in a huge potential pay per view event in the near future, possibly at a 154 catch weight, to distinguish arguably the greatest female fighter alive..
But Shields recent comments show that she doesn’t just consider herself the best female fighter around, she is of the opinion that she’s far superior to most top male counterparts too.. and says she’s more than willing to back it up.
Claressa specifies... She spars with men, drops men, and busts men up all the time in the gym.. But that is when you have to rationally differentiate between her day to day sparring with head gear, and the men that she has targeted, the hard punching Gennady Golovkin and Keith Thurman, men that are generally regarded as elite championship fighters in men’s boxing..
Shields isn’t new to trash talking, but she does herself no favours in singling out proven world champions, when she has barely fought in 10 professional, 2 minute round contests..
The Comment,
“I think I can beat up Keith Thurman … I really do.”
Is an insult to the 29-0-1 fighter who has held multiple titles for a number of years..
Further than that.. Shields continued..
“They may be stronger than me, but their boxing ability isn’t like mine. GGG, he’s older now, but I could give GGG a run for his money.”
Golovkin needs no introduction as an elite fighter, and the comments just fall shy of crass..

Claressa’s recent success appears to have jaded her perspective as she goes on to say,
“Power for Power isn’t a question, it’s a skill sport, a sweet science.. Hammer was supposed to be stronger than me in most departments, but look at the traps that I set..”
“If I were to get in there with a man, I would do a lot more of that. And, I do have some power. I’m not gonna say I’m stronger than them, but if I set up the right shots up I can get the job done.. “

No comments have been made in response to Shields’ outburst by any of the respective fighters, but there has been countless comments via social media from many renowned boxing authorities..
Don’t expect a Thurman v Shields cross gender grudge match in the near future, but it’s highly likely that the next Male sparring Claressa partakes in, may turn into a point proving exercise..

I wish her well, but Claressa needs some assistance in controlling her tactless outbursts, before her activity in the press overshadows her performances in the ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment